Sunday 24 April 2011

Redhill and Ireland

Down to Redhill on Friday last to campaign in the local election campaign there for Phil Wilson, standing in Redhill West. We spent the morning, in blazing sunshine and the heat, going around the more leafy areas near London Road and near East Surrey College where Phil works. A mixture of responses on the doorsteps and many people out because of the weather and the Easter weekend.

Then off to a lovely old pub in Reigate for lunch with some other local campaigners and then we canvassed one of the largest council estates in the ward in the afternoon. The sight of Phil discussing AV with a voter wielding a kitchen knife at the door was somewhat concerning - but she turned out to be a Green voter. Noticed severeal Eastern European EU citizens also there and pointed out that they were entitled to vote, one was a Romanian and I pointed out my interest and connection with Romania, having spent my summer holidays there last year and my strong connections with the Romanian Green Party.

Finally off for a quick drink to the town centre, where I met sitting Green councillor, Jonathan Essex, who is campaigning in the neigbouring ward for his running mate and then it was the train back to London. I am certain that Phil will do well in Redhill - he is hardworking and committed and has signed up to the local anti-cuts campaign.

Here is his campaign video and website. I hope that other Londoners will go down to help before May 5th.



Meanwhile I am off to Dublin tomorrow to visit family and friends and to escape the royal wedding - my local residents association are organising a street party and have dropped royalist leaflets in my letter box - Ugh! More on my time in Ireland on my return as I will be too busy visiting people and drinking Guinness to blog for a week at least.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this Joseph, sounds like an excellent days campaigning!

    ReplyDelete