Sunday 7 June 2009

Princes Ward By election


I attended the count on Friday at Lambeth Town Hall and did not blog yesterday due to sheer exhaustion after this and the European election campaign. I am going tonight to the Euro count at City Hall.


The results for the by election are below. Labour held the seat against all the odds. Seeing as how we had only a fraction of the resources that Labour and the Lib Dems had, I think we did quite well. Labour had tellers from Southend at the polling stations and an army of canvassers, some of whom worked in Labour Party HQ!


I would like to thank Cllr Thackray from Lambeth and other Lambeth Green Party members who helped me, as well as Pete Murry, Andy Hewett and Alan Wheatley from Green Left. Alan carried out a disability audit of polling stations on election day. I would also like to thank those voters in the ward who supported me. I think that the promises Labour made in the by election will return to haunt them.


Breakdown of results:Labour - 1726 (40.69% of votes)Lib Dem - 1396 (32.9% of votes)Conservative - 707 (16.67% of votes)Green - 320 (7.5% of votes)English Democrat - 93 (2.19% of votes)Total Votes = 4242 The turnout was 43% which was above the national average.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Joseph,

    I met you very very briefly at the recent Craig Murray torture evidence session in a select committee.

    On what basis should Prince's ward have delivered a candidate given the hijacking of the word Labour by the New Labour kleptocratic kakistocracy?

    It is not possible for us to have fair election results until we have the beginnings of a democracy again and an end to the social Apartheid the New Labour kakistocracy has instilled.

    http://mdedwards.typepad.com

    http://www.millioncampaignhomepage.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email address is tetsudoh@gmail.com.

    Please send me an email and let's discuss what happens next.

    I refuse to live in a Right-wing, kakistocratic and tyrannical country. I do not wish to go into exile again as I did after gaining my history degree at St.Anne's college, Oxford, in 1999 (I went into a one year exile to study Japanese in Japan). Either option is totally unsatisfactory.

    I live in Bishop's ward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1,000,000 PEOPLE TO VOTE AGAINST NEW LABOUR, CONSERVATIVES, LIB DEMS + BNP

    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=74759451667

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I was the silly bloke with the copy of Tolstoy's "War and Peace" who was ushered out of the Murray select committee)

    ReplyDelete