Thursday 4 June 2009

Why Vote Green Today?


Down at Vauxhall station this morning giving election leaflets to commuters, then off to the polling stations in the Princes Ward By election in Lambeth, where I am standing. Turnout is up in Princes Ward but in a nearby polling station outside the ward the turnout is lower, as this is where there is Euros only polling. Difficult to say how the by election will turn out - the count is tomorrow morning at Lambeth Town Hall. However, I was cheered by a number of voters leaving the polling station and giving me a thumbs up or telling me that they had voted for me.


Spotted the leader of Lambeth Council (Steve Reed) going around with a small army of canvassers. I still think that Labour will do badly in this by election but tomorrow will tell.


Off to vote now and then back to the polling stations. Alan Wheatley, the Green Party's Disability Spokesperson, accompanied me this morning and raised some issues with Presiding Officers and the Chiefl Executive of Lambeth Council about disabled access at some of the polling stations. After Alan's visit,I spotted ramps being brought into use at some of the polling stations.


As to why anyone should vote Green - Peter Tatchell says it all in today's Guardian.


No comments:

Post a Comment