Sunday 3 January 2010

A happy New Year and New Year's Honours

I have not posted since New Year's Eve and after that I met up with my good friend, Silviu Dimitru, the General Secretary of the Romanian Greens who was visiting London with his wife and daughter. Being a good host I took them around and we celebrated New Year with some friends. My blog has also now been linked to the website of Lambeth Green Party, where you can also catch up with what is happening in Lambeth, especially in this year of Council elections in London and Lambeth in May. I wish all readers of my blog a very happy New Year.


But I truly want to express my anger and disgust at one of the New Year awards handed out by Gordon Brown's government. As someone standing for election in the constituency of Vauxhall, which includes Stockwell, where an innocent man was murdered by the Met Police in 2005, I wish to express my shock and revulsion at the award of a Queen's Police Medal to Asst Commissioner Cressida Dick, the woman who oversaw a lot of that operation. I share the concern and anger of the De Menezes family over this and what a slap in the face it is for them after everything else they have suffered. Once again it demonstrates that the establishment will always rally round for its own and the victims will be left voiceless. I am quite prepared to face accusations over this but I want to put on record my contempt for this decision by a spineless government, which continues to fight wars everywhere and place the lives of more innocent citizens in danger as a result. The circumstances of this case were simply too murky and there are questions which have never been answered. To grant this award now is an utter disgrace.

As the De Menezes family rightly commented:
"Rewarding Ms Dick after her role in the biggest policing scandal of the decade displays woeful disregard for both the de Menezes family and broader public opinion.

"It is only one year since an inquest jury flatly rejected the police account that Jean was lawfully killed."

"Handing out congratulatory medals makes a mockery of real commitment to that process."

No comments:

Post a Comment