Wednesday 6 January 2010

The Soldier's Tale



Excellent piece in the Independent by Mark Steel, one of the most consistently political of comedians about Corporal Joe Glenton, who has spoken out against the war in Afghanistan and is now being punished for it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mark-steel/mark-steel-heres-one-soldier-who-told-the-truth-about-this-war-1858857.html


 I particularly like the last paragraph:

Joe Glenton has recently been released on bail, and his court martial takes place in three weeks, around the time another participant in war will be giving his evidence. So the rules seem to be that if you tell a lie to start a war, you're called up seven years later for a polite inquiry. And if you tell the truth to stop a war you're likely to get banged up. To someone somewhere I presume this all makes sense.

Of course as a member of the Steering Committee of Stop the War Coalition I would say that wouldn't I? But as Mark writes, more and more people in this country are waking up to the farce that is this war. Apparently seats are already almost booked out for the appearance of the war criminal Blair at the Iraq War Inquiry. I know which one I would like next to me when things get tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment