Saturday 8 May 2010

Thank you

Firstly, I would like to thank all of those who voted for me in Vauxhall. I am afraid that we were squeezed by the large turnout and the increase in the Labour vote across Lambeth. Interesting that there also seems to be some Tory support developing in Vauxhall also - probably the luxury flats along the river - they were just behind the Lib Dems.

My colleagues in Herne Hill dramatically increased the Green vote there and if it had not been for the general election on the same day, I am sure that we would have seen at least one Green councillor there. Sadly Lambeth will now be without any Green representation for the next four years but I am sure that the Lambeth Green Party will continue to play a role in the political life of the borough. As for Vauxhall, it appears that we may be having a general election within a year, the way that things are working out at national level. I sincerely hope that the Lib Dems will hold out for general electoral reform which would alter the political landscape incredibly. But we will have to see.

I did not get home until 9am yesterday morning after the count and then the local election count was yesterday. Obviously the big news of this election was the success of Caroline Lucas in Brighton - we finally have a radical Green voice in the Commons. The other high for me was the defeat of the BNP in Barking.

I am now going away to Ireland for a week to see family and friends. I will take up this blog in some form when I return. Once again, thanks to all of those who supported me in Vauxhall and Prince's ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment