Friday 23 July 2010

Peter Tatchell receives honorary doctorate and confronts evil

Congratulations today to Peter Tatchell who richly deserves this honorary doctorate. And yesterday, just to show why he deserves it, Peter is seen confronting Nick Griffin - the personification of evil in British politics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10729194


Peter Tatchell to receive Honarary Doctorate at Sussex University

In a ceremony at the Brighton Dome, today at 330pm, Peter Tatchell will receive an Hon D.Litt (Sussex), for his services to human rights, from the Chancellor, Sanjeev Bhaskar.


Green Party Leader and MP for Brighton Pavilion, Caroline Lucas commented:

"We are incredibly proud of the work which Peter continues to bring in human rights and that he is a member of the Green Party. Whether it is his advocacy on behalf of LGBT asylum seekers or his ongoing campaign for gay marriage, we are thrilled that the staff and students of the University of Sussex have decided to thank him in this way. Peter is truly one of our greatest LGBT heroes."

Councillor Amy Kennedy, Alumna of Sussex University, and a Green Party councillor in Brighton added:

"Peter brings invaluable work to often overlooked areas of human rights: the citizens of our city, our country and our world are indebted to him for his work. We celebrate with him for an award which I am proud to say has come from my alma mater."

Phelim Mac Cafferty, National Chair of LGBT Greens concluded:

"This honorary doctorate recognises Peter's ongoing, tireless work of over 4 decades. It is only apt in the same year in which we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Gay Liberation Front that Peter receives this award- whether it his staunch defence of the rights of LGBT people abroad or his ongoing investigative work to deliver fairness on our own shores- his work continues to inspire all of us to fight for a better world."

Commenting on his Honorary Doctorate, Mr Tatchell said:

"I was hesitant about accepting this honour. After all, my contribution to human rights is very modest. I am a long way from being a brave and effective campaigner. Many others are much more deserving than me. I would never agree to a royal honour but this award is different.

"My decision to accept was partly because the initiative for this honorary doctorate was a grassroots one, from the staff and students. I am honoured by their recognition of my human rights work.

"I accept this award in solidarity with the many heroic, inspirational activists who I support in countries like Uganda, Somaliland, Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Baluchistan, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Western Sahara, Iraq, Palestine and West Papua.

"The message which I will deliver in my acceptance speech is this: Be sceptical, question authority, be a rebel. All human progress is the result of far-sighted people challenging orthodoxy, tradition and powerful, vested interests. Don't accept the world as it is. Dream about what the world could be - then help make it happen. In whatever field of endeavour you work, be a change-maker for the upliftment of humanity.

"I do my bit for social justice, but so do many others. Together, through our collective efforts, we are helping make a better world - a world more just and free.

"I began campaigning in my home town of Melbourne, Australia , in 1967, aged 15, with my first campaign being against the death penalty, followed by campaigns in support of Aboriginal rights and in opposition to conscription and the Australian and US war against the people of Vietnam.

"My key political inspirations are Mohandas Gandhi, Sylvia Pankhurst, Martin Luther King and, to some extent, Malcolm X. I've adapted many of their ideas and methods to the contemporary struggle for human rights - and invented a few of my own.

Notes

Peter will have his Honorary Doctorate conferred on him on Friday 23rd July, at a ceremony at Brighton Dome 3:30PM

No comments:

Post a Comment