With the cuts now coming hard and fast - the voluntary sector organisation I work for has just had a 20% cut from Lambeth Council and my colleague who runs the Lambeth Pan Disability Forum has had his post cut from the end of March, plus Lambeth Age Concern and a host of other voluntary sector organisations reeling from the cuts, with thousands facing being laid off, it is more important than ever to flag up the resistance to these cuts. I am a member of the National Steering Committee of the Coalition of Resistance and below is a list of dates and events for the Week of Resistance in February and the vitally important March for an Alternative, being organised by the TUC on March 26th, where we are already hearing that thousands of trade unionists, disabled people and members of communities affected by the cuts are booking trains and transport to London.
I am off to my UNISON Voluntary Sector branch meeting tonight to see how we can fight the cuts on the ground in our respective organisations.
TUC march for the Alternative - London March 26th
It is clear that March 26th will be the biggest demonstration since the anti-war march of February 2003. All our work from now till then will be dedicated to making sure this is the case. We have printed and distributed 10,000 flyers for the March demonstration and we will be producing 100,000 more. Please contact us if you would like us to send you material for local distribution. We are asking for donations which will be spent entirely on producing new material.
Our mailing address is:
Coalition of Resistance
Coalition of Resistance, c/o Housman's Bookshop, 5 Caledonian Road
London, London N1 9DX
Week of Resistance 12th - 19th February
To build for the March 26th protest CoR has called a Week of Resistance. The following events are planned:
• Sunday 13th February Capitalism: A love story by Michael Moore. London Socialist Film Co-op 10.30 am the Renoir with discussion led by Tony Benn
• Monday 14th February Stop the Valentines Day Massacre of our Public Services. Downing Street 5pm-7pm with Jeremy Corbyn MP, John McDonnell MP, Steve Hart Unite - sponsored by SERTUC and Unite [ London and Eastern Region].
• Tuesday 15th February Mass Lobby of Parliament Tell MPs: Hands off our homes, our benefits and our rights. Rally in Central Hall Westminster and mass lobby of Parliament. 12-4pm. Called by Defend Council Housing.
• Wednesday 16th February COR Public Meeting Goldsmiths College with Caroline Lucas MP, Tariq Ali and Clare Solomon
• Wednesday 16th February COR Public Meeting with Keep Our NHS Public Conway Hall WC1 with Dr Jacky Davis, Wendy Savage and John Lister. More info.
• Saturday 19th February Mass leafleting for March 26th demonstration - stalls throughout the country.
• Saturday 19th February Visit George Osborne at home - a cross between 'a place in the sun' and 'location, location, location'